Register for a live broadcast to learn more about TRODELVY (sacituzumab govitecan-hziy) with Dr. Hope S. Rugo

General Discussions

After Doughnut Hole Closure, Oral Anticancer Drug Costs Still Too High for Many

By Kelly Johnson
General Discussions - Discussions
107 replies
“Stacie

Stacie Dusetzina, PhD

Studies show that cost is a factor in patient adherence to their oral anticancer medications, but the financial burden of oral chemotherapy drugs is projected to still be too high for millions of patients even when the Medicare Part D coverage gap, or “doughnut hole,” is fully closed.

Researchers analyzed 3334 Medicare formularies to identify insurance companies’ drug costs and cost-sharing designs of oral chemotherapy medications, as well as out-of-pocket costs for beneficiaries who do not receive low-income subsidies.

The study, published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, found that in 2010, oral chemotherapy drugs cost the average patient $8100 per year. After the Affordable Care Act (ACA) closes the doughnut hole fully in 2020, researchers predict that beneficiaries will still spend an average of $5600 per year in out-of-pocket costs for these medications.

“While closing the doughnut hole will benefit many Part D enrollees, individuals using expensive drugs will continue to face very high out-of-pocket spending,” lead author Stacie Dusetzina, PhD, assistant professor at the University of North Carolina Eshelman School of Pharmacy and Gillings School of Global Public Health and member of Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, said in a statement.

“These high drug costs may result in people not taking their medications as they should. That makes therapies less effective, which wastes time and money and has health and financial consequences for the patient.”

Medicare Part D has been offered through private health insurance since 2006 and is a key payer for oral chemotherapy medications. Part D’s doughnut hole is a gap in coverage that occurs once the beneficiary exceeds the drug coverage limit of $2960. Once the limit is breached, a cost sharing of 100% in out-of-pocket drug costs goes into effect until the catastrophic level of $4700 is reached.

The ACA’s provision to close the doughnut hole is intended to reduce cost sharing in yearly increments from 100% to 25% by 2020.

However, with an average price of more than $10,000 per month for oral anticancer therapies covered by Medicare in 2014, out-of-pocket costs after closing the gap will still exceed what the average beneficiary’s household spends on food each year.

Investigators used the Medicare July 2014 Prescription Drug Plan Formulary, Pharmacy Network, and Pricing Information Files from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to identify 1114 stand-alone and 2230 Medicare Advantage prescription drug formularies.

Analyzing specifically dabrafenib (Tafinlar) and sunitinib (Sutent), the researchers found that annual out-of-pocket costs ranged from $6456 for dabrafenib to $12,160 for sunitinib. Assuming that the drug prices remain stable, the authors estimate an average of $5663 in out-of-pocket-costs across products, saving beneficiaries only about $2550 per year.

The authors note that drug adherence to oral therapies decreases as patients move into the doughnut hole, and findings of minimal variation in costs across formularies suggest that patients have few options in reducing financial burden by selecting a different coverage plan.

“With consideration of the rising prices for specialty drugs over the past decade, any projected cost savings from closing the doughnut hole likely would be lost for these drugs,” the authors conclude.

“Efforts should be made to improve affordability of specialty drugs for Medicare beneficiaries given that medication nonadherence and a forgoing of basic needs are associated with high out-of-pocket medication costs.”
Dusetzina SB, Keating NL. Mind the gap: Why closing the doughnut hole is insufficient for increasing Medicare beneficiary access to oral chemotherapy [published online ahead of print December 7, 2015]. J Clin Oncol.

By KatieStopford
Nov 22, 2019 5:24:57 am
General discussion will be made over the formats it has to take some parts according to the communities to get on it. I used to get facts on this that used to work along these parts at https://xpertwriters.com/essay-writers/ this used to get work according to the factors that will be used to get over on this.
By David
Nov 30, 2019 8:52:02 am
excellent post.
By kathlee
Dec 11, 2019 4:42:43 am
Your writing very well and provide a lot of useful information. But if you tap water more than half as compared to another article, I would definitely be great Harley Quinn Costume
By kathlee
Dec 11, 2019 7:30:44 am
Thank you for a wonderful overview of how to clean hardwood floors! I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. poe dameron jacket
By kathlee
Dec 11, 2019 8:22:36 am
We are now happy to see that good post and images, you are doing a great job, thanks for the nice article post Birds Of Prey Wings Jacket
By lifetime
Dec 15, 2019 1:35:17 pm
this blog was really great, never seen a great blog like this before. i think im gonna share this to my friends.. Construction
By lifetime
Dec 17, 2019 1:42:33 am
I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts. Hero Instinct
By lifetime
Dec 17, 2019 6:03:39 am
You have done a amazing job with you website Best False Eyelashes
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 12:41:30 am
The writer is enthusiastic about purchasing wooden furniture on the web and his exploration about best wooden furniture has brought about the arrangement of this article.
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 12:53:59 am
I adore your websites way of raising the awareness on your readers. Best Perfumes for Women
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 1:03:45 am
Two full thumbs up for this magneficent article of yours. I've really enjoyed reading this article today and I think this might be one of the best article that I've read yet. Please, keep this work going on in the same quality. Best Nail Polishes
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 1:15:17 am
It's really nice and meanful. it's really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing.you have really helped lots of people who visit blog and provide them usefull information. Hero Instinct
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 1:39:59 am
Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here. Hero Instinct
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 1:51:17 am
I have express a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon Hero Instinct
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 9:56:42 am
I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. Construction
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 10:10:33 am
They're produced by the very best degree developers who will be distinguished for your polo dress creating. You'll find polo Ron Lauren inside exclusive array which include particular classes for men, women. Construction
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 10:25:11 am
Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and new initiatives in the same niche. Blog gave us useful information to work. You have done an amazing job! Construction
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 10:38:23 am
Super site! I am Loving it!! Will return once more, Im taking your food additionally, Thanks. Construction
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 10:58:11 am
I really enjoyed reading this post, big fan. Keep up the good work andplease tell me when can you publish more articles or where can I read more on the subject? Construction
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 10:58:14 am
Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!. Construction
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 11:20:23 am
As a seller of legal steroids, you can buy Crazy Bulk products, explore stacks and finally get the body youve always wanted Construction
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 11:30:27 am
Took me time to understand all of the comments, but I seriously enjoyed the write-up. It proved being really helpful to me and Im positive to all of the commenters right here! Its constantly nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I am certain you had enjoyable writing this write-up. Construction
By lifetime
Dec 18, 2019 11:46:12 am
Really impressive post. I read it whole and going to share it with my social circules. I enjoyed your article and planning to rewrite it on my own blog. Construction
By humairashah
Dec 23, 2019 5:12:37 am
By graceallen070
Dec 24, 2019 5:05:03 am
Best Student Advisors Online Class Help service will help you get the highest grades! Here you can pay someone to take your online class. Leading the world of online educational aide. One of the oldest and largest online class helping services. Pay Someone To Take My Online Class
By jordi69
Dec 24, 2019 7:20:13 am
[url=wwww.google.com]Google[/url]
By jordi69
Dec 24, 2019 7:22:05 am
By duongquan12
Dec 29, 2019 4:35:51 am
it's really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing.you have really helped Venus Factor
By duongquan12
Dec 29, 2019 4:36:14 am
This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. Yoga Burn
By duongquan12
Dec 29, 2019 4:36:33 am
Much thanks for composing such an intriguing article on this point. This has truly made me think and I plan to peruse more Halki Diabetes Remedy
By duongquan12
Dec 29, 2019 4:36:55 am
The material and aggregation is excellent and telltale as comfortably. Health Benefits
By duongquan12
Dec 29, 2019 4:37:19 am
Thanks for the informative and helpful post, obviously in your blog everything is good. Cinderella Solution
By duongquan12
Dec 29, 2019 4:37:40 am
I don t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site. Healthy Review
By duongquan12
Dec 29, 2019 4:38:20 am
I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! Hanging Belly Fat
By KevinF
Jan 01, 2020 5:35:19 pm
the cost are no doubt very high.. I think it would be very helpful if there were some sort of program people could apply for to help work with their budgets in order to afford them. Kevin | https://drivingschoolwinnipeg.com
By Daniel
Jan 02, 2020 4:39:39 am
I like viewing web websites that realize the fee of turning in the excellent useful resource freed from price. I without a doubt adored analyzing Bowler Jacket posting. Thank!
By samuelddarden
Jan 06, 2020 6:59:49 pm
By samuelddarden
Jan 07, 2020 6:27:55 pm
Great read! I always appreciate new information on the medicine news. Download and play vex 4 and discover an action-packed adventure that features a real test of skill.
By tylerworgan
Jan 08, 2020 2:57:16 am
Thanks for the wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. tree service near me in boca raton
By Kevin
Jan 08, 2020 4:12:10 am
hey I am MBBS student. and I reachere many more information. this is a good platform i get a good information No Time to Die Glen Check Grey Suit
By cheapammos
Jan 10, 2020 11:29:26 pm
Looking for top bulk ammo at best price. Browse Cheapammos, we have an amazingly deals on popular caliber including; 17 Hmr Ammo, 223 ammo and many more.
By Chris889
Jan 13, 2020 10:28:51 am
Question - Is the $5100 donut hole threshold a sum of costs from both the co-pay and manufacturer costs generated in the initial period plus the donut hole period or just the donut hole period? https://healthybodyhealthymind.com
By Chris889
Jan 13, 2020 10:29:30 am
Question - Is the $5100 donut hole threshold a sum of costs from both the co-pay and manufacturer costs generated in the initial period plus the donut hole period or just the donut hole period? https://healthybodyhealthymind.com
By MargieRoss
Jan 24, 2020 6:34:25 am
I will endorse no longer to crew up an army blue shirt with cream or off the white blazer. Cream color in front of military blue coloration at the back of it is strong conflict. Here, you want something that complements and brings the satisfactory out of the cream. Black Leather Blazer
By Kevin
Jan 25, 2020 9:28:31 am
This is what I need finding from many time today I get this post so I just stuck it with superglue [url=http://elfychem.com/superglue/]superglue[/url]
By yuwell
Jan 29, 2020 2:53:21 am
Useful reading this post. nebulizer supplies
By LenaSmith
Jan 29, 2020 5:38:11 am
This show has a manner of taking all of the storybook characters and fairytales we knew and cherished as youngsters and weaving them collectively in a manner that works for adults to enjoy. Before I even knew what this display becomes about, because the subject matter became fairytales, my first impression turned into. Once Upon A Time Sheriff Graham Jacket
By tylerworgan
Feb 12, 2020 1:14:53 am
Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject? tree removal el cajon
By NoraChris
Feb 12, 2020 6:38:30 am
That's sad to know. I really hope a solution comes out of this problem.
By tylerworgan
Feb 14, 2020 12:59:34 am
Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject? decorative concrete fort lauderdale
By tylerworgan
Feb 21, 2020 4:52:30 am
Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject? remodeling contractors broward county
By tylerworgan
Feb 24, 2020 5:43:07 am
Very nice bro, thanks for sharing this with us. Keep up the good work and Thank you for sharing information bathroom remodeling broward county
By tylerworgan
Mar 02, 2020 11:08:43 am
Thanks for the wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. forensic data recovery
By tylerworgan
Mar 10, 2020 12:51:56 pm
Thanks for the wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. bathroom remodelers brevard county
By tylerworgan
Mar 13, 2020 6:11:46 am
You have a good point here!I totally agree with what you have said!! Thanks for sharing your views. hope more people will read this article!!! bathroom remodeling harris county
By tylerworgan
Mar 20, 2020 2:18:47 am
Great article and a nice way to promote online. Im satisfied with the information that you provided pool deck resurfacing west palm beach
By martwal167
Mar 26, 2020 2:30:13 am
I hope that there will be miracles, heal the broken heart is crying and sad. The sky is still divided night light right then we broke up already, so our love circle is like that. walmart near me
By tylerworgan
Mar 27, 2020 2:02:20 am
This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.popcorn ceiling removal companies near me
By tylerworgan
Mar 27, 2020 8:25:12 am
This post is good enough to make somebody understand this amazing thing, and Im sure everyone will appreciate this interesting things.outdoor living spaces
By jamesevers209
Apr 07, 2020 3:58:01 am
Wow it is such a nice article provide I am so glad very unique and informative article post keep doing a great job kingsman orange suit
By michealjohn
Apr 20, 2020 12:57:03 pm
I like review sites which grasp the cost of conveying the brilliant valuable asset for nothing out of pocket. I genuinely revered perusing your posting. Much obliged to you!Mission Impossible Leather Jacket
By michealjohn
Apr 20, 2020 12:59:47 pm
This is an extraordinary article a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing this instructive data. I will visit your blog consistently for some most recent post. assignment service
By denialpatel
May 09, 2020 1:47:57 am
I dont even understand how I stopped up here, www.newamericanjackets.com but I assumed this put up was once good. I dont recognize who youre however definitely you are going to a famous blogger when you arent already here.
By mehreensiddique
May 09, 2020 1:45:15 pm
I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. gmail sign in
By mehreensiddique
May 11, 2020 6:16:55 pm
Ive been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!.. detectives infidelidades
By denialpatel
May 13, 2020 3:54:43 am
Youve made some good points there. Scarlet Witch Coat I checked on the web for additional information about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this site.
By venkatismart
May 15, 2020 1:53:42 am
your article is just awesome thanks it really helpful. https://rayiot.tech/
By YoungHope
May 18, 2020 4:57:02 am
Dreams are not what you see when you sleep, dreams are things that do not allow you to sleep. Let me share geometry dash
By mehreensiddique
May 20, 2020 12:36:23 pm
Wow! Thanks! I have wanted to enter in my webblog something similar to that. Musica Para Estudiar Concentrarse Atencin
By mehreensiddique
May 21, 2020 3:14:34 pm
This was a really great contest and hopefully I can attend the next one. It was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself.. private detectives sevile
By mehreensiddique
May 23, 2020 9:02:09 am
thanks for this usefull article, waiting for this article like this again. ymail
By mehreensiddique
May 23, 2020 4:12:59 pm
The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me. Stahlwandpools
By mehreensiddique
May 28, 2020 12:55:20 pm
There is noticeably a lot of money to know about this. I assume youve made certain nice points in features also. sbcglobal login
By mehreensiddique
May 28, 2020 3:41:43 pm
I havent any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. Detectives Marbella
By mehreensiddique
May 30, 2020 7:52:38 am
Thank you for the update, very nice site.. Packwoods
By mehreensiddique
May 31, 2020 6:32:49 am
This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you. investigadores privados Barcelona
By mehreensiddique
Jun 05, 2020 2:12:34 am
Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS TORREMOLINOS
By Paul Anderson
Jun 08, 2020 3:09:24 pm
Do you find your inspiration in gaming, then the best gaming jackets are also something that will inspire you to death. Our collection of some of the best video game jackets available is now online for you to see, pick and place your order for Tom Cruise Jackets
By simpsonjoshua
Jun 11, 2020 3:10:27 am
A positive information is clearly seen in your article. I really hope this useful information can reach more consumers. bubble shooter
By mehreensiddique
Jun 11, 2020 1:24:50 pm
You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant! Relaxation Sounds
By mehreensiddique
Jun 13, 2020 12:02:39 pm
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS IN SPAIN
By mehreensiddique
Jun 14, 2020 2:47:51 pm
Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards, ?????? ????
By mehreensiddique
Jun 15, 2020 6:18:35 am
This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Baby White Noise
By lunaseo
Jun 16, 2020 12:24:05 am
You might comment on the order system of the blog. You should chat it's splendid. Your blog audit would be swell up your visitors. I was very pleased to find this site. forex robotron
By Paul Anderson
Jun 16, 2020 12:32:57 pm
You should require a service that can support them in writing the best term papers or give them help to solve their problem in writing great assignment such a service is a Anatomy Assignment Writing.
By mehreensiddique
Jun 17, 2020 5:04:39 am
We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. mcdonalds specials 2020
By cristinajohn786
Jun 17, 2020 5:17:59 am
Experience the great style for less. Shop this premium quality Celebrity Movie Jacket and enjoy free shipping in USA, UK and Canada.
By cristinajohn786
Jun 17, 2020 5:19:11 am
Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. Sons Of Anarchy Vest
By cristinajohn786
Jun 17, 2020 5:20:17 am
I so love your article where your.you are i think your...deep thinker and out of the many people in your. Your writing is poetic. I like the style. A lot of. Barley Lightfoot Vest
By cristinajohn786
Jun 17, 2020 5:21:34 am
Your writing very well and provide a lot of useful information. But if you tap water more than half as compared to another article, I would definitely be great Thats Cool Baby Jacket
By umarkhan
Jun 17, 2020 2:53:55 pm
Going to graduate school was a positive decision for me. I enjoyed the coursework, the presentations, the fellow students, and the professors. And since my company reimbursed 100% of the tuition, the only cost that I had to pay on my own was for books and supplies. Otherwise, I received a free masters degree. All that I had to invest was my time. survival guide blog information
By umarkhan
Jun 21, 2020 12:20:26 pm
I found Hubwit as a transparent s ite, a social hub which is a conglomerate of Buyers and Sellers who are ready to offer online digital consultancy at decent cost. Custom Iron On Patches
By umarkhan
Jun 22, 2020 4:09:42 am
We are tied directly into the sates renewal database which allows us to process your request almost instantly russell brunson scam
By mehreensiddique
Jun 23, 2020 10:55:52 am
Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. fortunabola1.com
By mehreensiddique
Jun 25, 2020 3:37:22 pm
I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Detectives aspe
By lindaperryly
Jun 27, 2020 11:48:26 pm
Will keep my memories when I am with you. Let me miss you every night. Let's give the most positive and right ideas. fireboy and watergirl
By hannahberry
Jun 29, 2020 3:55:03 am
I see the article has a great deal of investment in content and science. I took the time to read them and found them quite interesting.geometry dash
By mehreensiddique
Jul 01, 2020 3:19:26 pm
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. www liteblue usps gov login page
By mehreensiddique
Jul 03, 2020 2:03:15 pm
This is my first time visit here. From the tons of comments on your articles,I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here! www.1800phonenumbers.org
By SANDY44
Jul 04, 2020 8:44:36 am
Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. Bet365 Trke
By mehreensiddique
Jul 06, 2020 10:10:51 am
Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. Rainstorm Sounds
By mjackets
Jul 07, 2020 3:35:46 am
This is the first time that I visit here. I found so many exciting matters in this particular blog, One thing I would like to request you that pls keep posting such type of informative blog. Top Gun Maverick Jacket
By mjackets
Jul 07, 2020 3:36:15 am
I appreciate this blog your blog is vert help full for me i really enjoyed this stuff dude. The Last Of Us Part 2 Ellie Backpack
By Orlandiorenio
Jul 07, 2020 4:29:47 am
I want to invite you to use my advice on forex robots. There are many sites where they are for sale. However, our store is a place where professionals exhibit their best designs that have been tested for years best forex robots
By mehreensiddique
Jul 07, 2020 6:50:54 am
You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. money lender clementi
By mehreensiddique
Jul 08, 2020 4:52:22 am
Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! Its always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! Commercial law firm in Lagos
By mehreensiddique
Jul 11, 2020 10:18:47 am
This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. 10685-B Hazelhurst Dr
You must log in to use this feature, please click here to login.
External Resources

MJH Associates
American Journal of Managed Care
Cure
MD Magazine
Pharmacy Times
Physicians' Education Resource
Specialty Pharmacy Times
TargetedOnc
OncNurse Resources

Newsroom
Continuing Education
Discussions
Web Exclusives

About Us
Advertise
Advisory Board
Careers
Contact Us
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
Intellisphere, LLC
2 Clarke Drive
Suite 100
Cranbury, NJ 08512
P: 609-716-7777
F: 609-716-4747

Copyright OncNursing 2006-2019
Intellisphere, LLC. All Rights Reserved.