General Discussions

CDC Discusses COVID-19: Updates for Providers, Vaccine, and More

By Brielle Benyon
General Discussions - Discussions
22 replies
Healthcare providers and citizens alike are navigating uncharted territories when it comes to the novel coronavirus/COVID-19.

“It’s an important part of the discussion to recognize that we’re talking about a virus and a disease that we really didn’t know existed 3 months ago,” said Jay C. Butler, MD, deputy director for infectious diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in a webinar.

Populations Most at Risk

Butler explained that most younger, healthier people with no other health problems who contract COVID-19 will have mild symptoms and not need to be hospitalized. However, elderly individuals are most at risk.

“For most people, we’re talking about a minor illness,” Butler said. “The people at highest risk of severe infection are those who are older, particularly those who are over 80. More than half of the deaths we’ve seen in the United States are people who live in long-term care facilities.”

Butler also said that people with chronic heart, lung, or kidney disease or diabetes are at an increased risk for more severe infections, too.

“For families, what that means is that it’s important to practice social distancing for our elderly and for people with underlying health conditions.”

Preventing the Spread of COVID-19

There are measures that both providers – including oncologists and oncology nurses – and citizens can take to help prevent the spread of the disease.

Butler said that it seems like the majority of infections are transmitted via respiratory droplets that are transmitted when infected individuals cough or sneeze. So, it is crucial that people cough or sneeze into their elbow, and that everyone washes their hands for 20 seconds with soap and water (or hand sanitizer if soap and water is not available), and frequently clean and disinfect surfaces – particularly those that are touched a lot.

Citizens may be tempted to purchase personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, masks (including N-95s, which were recently made available to healthcare providers), and gowns, but Butler advised against that, saving these items for healthcare providers who are most likely to come in contact with the virus and need to be protected.

“It’s important to acknowledge the heroic job the healthcare providers have been doing,” Butler said. “Many hospitals have done table-top clinics on what to do in a flu pandemic. These plans are really important.”

Butler also recommended that providers push back elective surgeries and procedures, as well as nonessential visits.

“This is how we keep the healthcare system robust and take care of the people who get sick with COVID-19.”

Finding a Vaccine and Next Steps

Right now, treatment for the coronavirus is mainly getting a hold on symptoms. A vaccine is in the works, but is still a long way away, according to Butler, who said that a vaccine has just started trials in a human population.

“A vaccine will ultimately be the best way to protect the entire population against the coronavirus,” he said. “Unfortunately, this will probably be a year, to a year and a half out.”

Read more on the Coronavirus (COVID-19):

By Androidezes
Jul 09, 2020 12:13:34 pm
seznamka pro seniory neveklov seznamka okres kralovice stezery rychle rande eroticka seznamka blizejov bolatice seznamovani kyjov eroticka seznamka seznamka pro seniory horni mostenice rozmital pod tremsinem krestanska seznamka trebenice rychle rande osik hledam milence seznamka jedovnice nezamyslice seznamka okres sex seznamka pardubice hledam muze vresina nova cerekev ona hleda jeho vlkos rande naslepo rande naslepo chropyne suchdol sex seznamka rande naslepo zdounky seznamka sucha loz peruc krestanska seznamka sex seznamka krizova ona hleda jeho prikazy zatec seznamka pro seniory eroticka seznamka adamov sex seznamka jenec moutnice ona hleda jeho hledam milence novy hrozenkov rosice eroticka seznamka seznamovaci agentura dolni lutyne liben seznamka pro seniory zatec sex seznamka sedlec sex seznamka hledam muze dolni studenky klimkovice sex seznamka hledam milence stoky smrzovka ona hleda jeho cesky brod rande naslepo ona hleda jeho halenkov lovosice seznamka eroticka seznamka holoubkov d83b2cd
By alicemartin4689
Jul 10, 2020 5:49:54 am
In the tense situation of Covid-19, we should protect ourself through safety instruction like wearing a mask, hand sanitizer, social distance. Homing Pro also provided the safety instrument in their region. They also allowed their employees to work from their home don't come to the office, because they know the disaster of Covid-19.
By mari123
Jul 14, 2020 1:57:51 am
Introducing online slots, fish shooting games, horse racing games and many more that are waiting for you to come in to taste the fun that can not be found anywhere else. Play both mobile and computer. See the simple face of the slotxo game. Enjoy the games, absolutely guaranteed. Whether playing via 3G and 4G mobile phones or computer, convenient, easy to spin money anytime, anywhere
By Stephen
Jul 14, 2020 2:48:14 am
Get nursing essay help UK for nursing students at cheap price.
By Lucaswilliamabc
Jul 16, 2020 4:08:20 am
I read your post, it helps to understand about the disease of Covid 19. But, Actually, I am a tech blogger, I recommend the Proton VPN in my blog. this is too beneficial for you. if you're using VPN, and want to change the vpn so you just use ProtonVPN Coupon code when you purchase ProtonVPN
By mehreensiddique
Jul 20, 2020 5:18:43 am
Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! Its always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! Robinhood Promo Code
By kevinjack32
Jul 20, 2020 3:49:15 pm
The CDC has no scientific personnel to measure the effects of cloud seeding, it does mention the risks of silver iodine in an unrelated report. BluntSoft
By Jom
Jul 23, 2020 11:05:52 am
We must adopt the new normal now. This pandemic will affect us longer than we expect. Before the economy drops down, we must open businesses under new normal for safety of the consumers and employees as well especially on real estate those people buying houses for sale in Las Vegas Nevada. Wear Mask all the time, people! We wear because we care!
By mjackets
Jul 24, 2020 12:02:46 pm
Thanks for sharing us yours precious time to create this post, its so informative and the content make post more interesting. really appreciated. Birds of Prey Jacket
By duongquan12
Jul 26, 2020 5:36:56 am
Enjoyed reading the article above , really explains everything in detail,the article is very interesting and effective.Thank you and good luck for the upcoming articles. Leptitox Reviews
By Henry Crabtree
Jul 29, 2020 2:23:18 am
Thanks for the information. Still, there is no ready vaccine of Covid-19 so we should take care of ourselves and our family. Some precautions are mandatory to prevent Covid-19. Recently I purchased N-95 mask from ReeCoupons. This store has all the precaution products that we required to prevent Covid-19.
By mehreensiddique
Jul 29, 2020 4:12:59 am
Thank you very much for this great post. Rain Drops
By mehreensiddique
Jul 29, 2020 11:47:28 am
I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Via project beam
By selena
Jul 30, 2020 4:05:36 am
I adore your websites way of raising the awareness on your readers freecell
By mehreensiddique
Jul 30, 2020 5:10:26 am
TIGER77 adalah Agen Judi Bola88 Online Terpercaya yang menawarkan Cara Daftar Judi Bola88 dengan deposit termurah 25rb saja untuk bermain Judi Bola88 Online situs alternatif bola88
By mehreensiddique
Jul 30, 2020 10:30:06 am
Particular interviews furnish firsthand message on mart size, industry trends, ontogeny trends, capitalist landscape and outlook, etc. female betta fish for sale
By mehreensiddique
Aug 02, 2020 3:08:32 am
I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. glock dealers
By paulmatthew
Aug 02, 2020 7:18:53 am
Product Design User experience agency Software Design Rocksauce: New product design agencies like Rocksauce help startup and enterprise with innovation workshops, design sprints, UX, UI, branding, & user testing.
By creshbnny
Aug 05, 2020 5:04:40 am
I adore your websites way of raising the awareness on your readers Road Trip Planning
By saeed
Aug 05, 2020 10:08:21 am
By mehreensiddique
Aug 07, 2020 9:31:27 am
Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. walmart leave of absence
By mehreensiddique
Aug 08, 2020 3:01:02 am
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. ddp agent in china
You must log in to use this feature, please click here to login.
External Resources

MJH Associates
American Journal of Managed Care
Cure
MD Magazine
Pharmacy Times
Physicians' Education Resource
Specialty Pharmacy Times
TargetedOnc
OncNurse Resources

Newsroom
Continuing Education
Discussions
Web Exclusives

About Us
Advertise
Advisory Board
Careers
Contact Us
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
Intellisphere, LLC
2 Clarke Drive
Suite 100
Cranbury, NJ 08512
P: 609-716-7777
F: 609-716-4747

Copyright OncNursing 2006-2019
Intellisphere, LLC. All Rights Reserved.