Register now to learn about a new option for relapsed or refractory follicular lymphoma

General Discussions

Nurses' Expertise Is Essential for Health Policy Decision Making

By Brielle Benyon
General Discussions - Discussions
31 replies
Oncology nurses have a skillset and knowledge that makes them vital members of the health care team. As frontline providers of cancer care, their voice is important when it comes to decision making for both patients and fellow nurses.

However, according to a recent poll of the Oncology Nursing News audience, 100% of participants responded that they do not feel that nurses are involved enough in health care policy decisions.

We asked which legislative or policy areas are most important for nurses to have their voices heard. Answers included:

• Equitable access to health care
  • Social and political determinants of health
  • Health care access
  • Cost of care and the Affordable Care Act
  • Nurse staffing issues
  • Funding for nursing education

Advocating for Nurses Rights

Despite reporting that nurses do not have their views heard enough, our readers reported ways that they speak out for nurses’ rights in both local and national arenas.

“I am a member of many state health coalitions that jointly plan and engage in grassroots mobilization [for] individuals to effect policy change. I convene conversations for nurses and policy and use our voice,” said Carol Bush, BS, RN.

On a more personal level, another respondent, who wished to remain anonymous, said that they advocate for nurses by, “representing my profession; staying accredited; being vocal about nursing and nursing practice.”

Others reported keeping open lines of communication with management at their hospitals and clinics or staying up to date with professional nursing organizations.

Another anonymous respondent is empowering the next generation of nurses: “I teach health care policy to nurses, vote, and am a board member of a national non-profit cancer organization. Although board membership is not directly related to nurse advocacy, I do weave nurses’ rights into this work by speaking up for the education needs of nurses.”

Advocating for Patient Rights

Nurses are also passionate in advocating for the rights of their patients.

For many, this occurs on a personal level, such as listening to patients’ point of views and practicing empathy every day. Diana Teopaco, LVN, said that she helps patients by, “fighting with health plans to get the coverage they need for cancer treatment.”

Additionally, nurses said that they partner with nonprofit cancer organizations to help patients that have concerns beyond the realm of cancer treatment.

More: When Health Gets Political, Nurses Speak Out

By emelybrown
Dec 03, 2020 2:37:37 am
All experience, experience! Experience is nonsense. Experience will not cover the meaning of the spirit. Everything that they have managed to find out so far was not worth looking for and it is not worth knowing. You can buy essay online and show it to a teacher. Thus, you do not buy a "pig in a poke", but receive a high-quality order and make sure of this from a third party, in your case - a teacher.
By jacksonz
Dec 03, 2020 2:51:25 am
Everything that they have managed to find out so far was not worth looking for and it is not worth knowing. Try your best. Among Us
By veralarina
Dec 03, 2020 5:32:40 am
Focus on the details of what is going on. https://master-paper.com/ For example, if you want to write a descriptive essay about your trip to the park, you would give great detail about what you experienced: how the grass felt beneath your feet, what the park benches looked like, and anything else the reader would need to feel as if he were there.
By veralarina
Dec 03, 2020 5:34:02 am
By LesleyB
Dec 03, 2020 5:17:35 pm
I totally agree. However, the number of nursing students using essay writing services like EvolutionWriters, EssayAssist, EssayPro or others (full list can be found here: https://legitwritingservices.com/nursing-essay-writing-services/) grows from day to day. Such services should have some kind of social responsibility, because students who use these companies will be future nurses who treat patients.
By desien3859
Dec 07, 2020 10:02:14 am
Guys from the Rooftoptent guide website, you saved a lot of my time! Thank you! I've surfed dozens of sites before, but this one contains the most valuable information about roof tents in Australia.
By brahambell
Dec 09, 2020 3:03:10 am
I adore your websites way of raising the awareness on your readers Wobble Man
By Jessica Campos
Dec 10, 2020 12:13:24 pm
I don’t like the post which you shared about dream house. Because, I never want to live in such old looking house. The darker light effect as well arabian oud london as ugly color scheme is used by you guys. You should improve your designing skills first.
By knightshift009
Dec 11, 2020 12:46:36 pm
I admire all the health care professionals they also fighting these trying times, especially pandemic. a nice quality article, Interesting to read. Keep our eyes open. Stay safe, Knightshift concretecontractorswilmington.com
By karlnwilson
Dec 14, 2020 7:58:24 am
Once you have bought your Instagram users then it is important that you continue to keep them informed about your products or services. This is where a good social media marketing service can help you. The service will provide you with interesting information regarding what's going on around the globe. In this way you can keep the interest of your customers and keep them informed of the latest happenings in the world of your business. You will also be able to use these updates to reach more people and get more followers on a buy instagram followers uk
By karlnwilson
Dec 14, 2020 7:59:13 am
Especially, if you already know that it's quite hard to buy instagram followers uk on an ultra-competitive social networking platform such as Instagram, why not buy Instagram users? After all, it's not impossible. There are even businesses out there who already do this. They buy Instagram users, make money off of them, and then sell the user's profile to other businesses. In this article, we'll take a look at how this works and why people should buy Instagram users.
By evan john
Dec 15, 2020 5:34:04 am
Have you graduated and want to take admission in your dream college and want help in college admission essay online from the expert writers they will help you in getting admission to the college for which you just dream.
By filmstarlook
Dec 18, 2020 12:22:57 pm
Thanks for sharing great post, please keep shairng Love Shayari
By Aspirabriciole
Dec 21, 2020 6:30:18 am

Mini video proiettore portatile 1000 Lumen Reali Full HD 1080P Compatibilità iOs e Android Display da 120" Proiettore Cinematografico con 50,000 ore Cavo hdmi

By vihan
Dec 22, 2020 1:47:08 pm
Yes really true Mediagraphix is a professional PR firm in Pharma Industry, we proud of our communication partners with News18 for Pharmaceuticals. A Best Healthcare PR Agency in Delhi, we proud of our communication partners with News18 for technology and various award shows. https://www.mediagraphixpr.in/pharmaceuticals-pr/
By lifetime
Dec 26, 2020 7:40:21 am
I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work. healthgrades for Andrea Natale
By lifetime
Dec 26, 2020 7:43:21 am
Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work! Andrea Natale is the executive medical director
By lifetime
Dec 26, 2020 7:51:42 am
A debt of gratitude is in order for giving late reports with respect to the worry, I anticipate read more. Maven CEO Ross Levinsohn
By lifetime
Dec 26, 2020 7:54:03 am
Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up. Ross Levinsohn
By Dyanhale
Dec 26, 2020 2:18:58 pm
I have to admire the work of the author. He has always given his best and it's time now that we pay him back by giving constant good comments on his blog. Thank you for all the hard work you've done and surely we'll get more in the future as well. household appliances
By nightsfun
Dec 29, 2020 4:33:38 am
We provide tips to how can you enjoy your night. There are many games and ideas which help you to enjoy. You can enjoy your night with your best movie with some goods. You can reach on sea and  enjoy your night with waves. You can go on dance party or bar and enjoy your night. To know more tips you can visit on our website click here nights fun
By asshh
Jan 01, 2021 8:36:27 am
Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for. I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info. Best doctors in Pakistan
By Danny374
Jan 04, 2021 1:00:35 am
For walking disable persons, the wheelchair is really a necessary thing. You can choose to have many accessories to increase the comfort of a wheelchair person. They can use many wheelchair accessories to make a really comfortable moving one.
By sportstoto365com
Jan 07, 2021 9:34:15 am
Much thanks to you for setting aside an ideal opportunity to distribute this data extremely valuable! officialbacarasiteinfo
By sportstoto365com
Jan 07, 2021 9:35:23 am
Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want to say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!! Thanks powerballsitecom
By sportstoto365com
Jan 07, 2021 9:36:34 am
Excellent things from you, man. I've examined your things before and you're just too awesome. I love what youve received here, love what youre stating and the way you say it. Thanks for share great content! sportstoto
By LanceL
Jan 09, 2021 7:24:13 am
Wow, What an Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what I was searching for. I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info. Thanks and regards, Physical therapy clinic
By victorbradford
Jan 14, 2021 9:35:37 am
Now that you mistook the submission date of your essay, there is nothing much you can do except hire the best cheap essay writing services. You know there is no other way you will be able to finish your work by yourself. So quickly contact the customer service of Academic Writing Experts and have them start working on your essay.
By andrewpk
Jan 21, 2021 1:10:57 pm
It's my first time visiting the site. It is more interesting. I enjoyed it. I am 100% satisfied with you. Oncology nurses have a knowledge that makes them vital members of the health care team. My friend suggests me to visit the site which is [url=https://www.legitkushsuppliers.com/]Marijuana for sale[/url]. It may help you to reduce stress and anxiety. Visit now to read more about that.
By daniyal
Jan 25, 2021 6:09:48 am
Uttar Pradesh Maadhyamik Shiksha Parishad every year conduct UP Board Exams for High School & Intermediate. UPMSP conduct exams for UP Board 10th 12th Class Exams. Lacs of Students appearedUP 10th Question Paper 2021 in UP Board Exam. This Year UPMSP has turn around the things very quickly. Candidates who are going to appear in UP Board Exams, must be looking for UP Board Model Papers 2020 for Class 10th 12th Exam, Practice Papers for High School Intermediate Board Exams. Candidates can Download UP Board Modal papers from the links available here…
You must log in to use this feature, please click here to login.
External Resources

MJH Associates
American Journal of Managed Care
Cure
MD Magazine
Pharmacy Times
Physicians' Education Resource
Specialty Pharmacy Times
TargetedOnc
OncNurse Resources

Newsroom
Continuing Education
Discussions
Web Exclusives

About Us
Advertise
Advisory Board
Careers
Contact Us
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
Intellisphere, LLC
2 Clarke Drive
Suite 100
Cranbury, NJ 08512
P: 609-716-7777
F: 609-716-4747

Copyright OncNursing 2006-2019
Intellisphere, LLC. All Rights Reserved.