5 Tips for Women on How to Encourage Men to be Healthier
Women Against Prostate Cancer provide tips to encourage men to be healthier and signs of prostate cancer to be aware of
- Make it easier. You are his biggest support system. Help him by researching treatment options, health facilities that make him feel comfortable, and listen to his needs.
- Observe what activities make him happy and do them together. Make it fun! Being healthy does not have to be painful or hard. Look for fun ways to build exercise into your routine, or cook a healthy meal together. Be sure to go with his energy, and stay away from forcing activities when he’s not in a great mood.
- Attend doctor’s appointments and ask questions! Be sure to not be overbearing. Sometimes playing that role can actually make his communication with you worse and overwhelm you both. Remember nagging = resistance.
- Lead by example! Women have a huge influence over the healthcare decisions of their spouse. When you get your annual physical, make sure he gets his too, even if that means making the appointment for him.
- Men are competitive at heart. Make it a game and celebrate small and large victories together. Did he choose salad instead of steak? Make his physical appointment without you nagging him? Praise him, and show him the benefits. It’s more likely he will do it again.
There are visible cues and hints that women should be aware of or keep an eye out for. Although prostate cancer often comes with little to no symptoms, some men experience:
- Urination problems
- Blood in urine or semen
- Difficulty with erections
- Painful ejaculations
- Back or hip pain
These are symptoms to look out for but remember prostate cancer often comes with none. The best thing to do is to observe and ask questions. It is also necessary to encourage him to pay attention to his own body. Make sure he asks questions if something seems off and to follows up with his physician. Encourage him to speak with his doctor on getting his screenings on an annual basis.