For this episode of “The Vitals,” Oncology Nursing News® spoke with Hamid Emamekhoo, MD, an assistant professor of the Division of Hematology, Medical Oncology and Palliative Care with the University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center. Emamekhoo offers a snapshot of recent advances in kidney cancer treatments, an overview of caring for patients receiving immunotherapy and TKI combinations, and where future advances for kidney cancer research are headed.
“We have used high dose interleukin-2 for the treatment of kidney cancer since 1992—we have been doing immunotherapy for kidney cancer before immunotherapy was cool. But it was not the best treatment modality because it is a little hard to tolerate. It causes a lot of side effects because it mimics a severe sepsis and riles up the immune system,” explains Emamekhoo. “Of course, with the advancements in immunotherapy [and with] the approvals of [various] immune checkpoint inhibitors, that has changed significantly.”
- Goodman VL, Rock EP, Dagher R, et al. Approval summary: sunitinib for the treatment of imatinib refractory or intolerant gastrointestinal stromal tumors and advanced renal cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13(5):1367-1373. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-2328.
- Fyfe G, Fisher RI, Rosenberg SA, et al. Results of treatment of 255 patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma who received high-dose recombinant interleukin-2 therapy. J Clin Oncol. 1995;13:688-696. doi:10.1200/JCO.19220.127.116.118.
- Tung I, Sahu A. Immune checkpoint inhibitor in first-line treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a review of current evidence and future directions. Front Oncol. 2021(11):707214. doi:10.3389/fonc.2021.707214.
- FDA approves nivolumab plus ipilimumab combination for intermediate or poor-risk advanced renal cell carcinoma. FDA. News release. April 16, 2018. Accessed March 23, 2022. https://bit.ly/37Wi3Uz
- FDA approves Merck’s Keytruda (pembrolizumab) in combination with Inlyta (axitinib) as first-line treatment for patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC). Merck. April 22, 2019. Accessed April 22, 2019. https://bit.ly/2IKrjMM
- FDA approves nivolumab plus cabozantinib for advanced renal cell carcinoma. FDA. News release. January 1, 2021. Accessed March 23, 2022. https://bit.ly/3JC3OC6
- FDA approves KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) plus LENVIMA (lenvatinib) combination for first-line treatment of adult patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC). News release. Merck. August 11, 2021. Accessed March 23, 2022. https://bwnews.pr/3fXk8Rj
- AVEO Oncology Announces U.S. FDA Approval of FOTIVDA® (tivozanib) for the Treatment of Adult Patients with Relapsed or Refractory Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma. AVEO Oncology. News release. March 10, 2021. Accessed March 10, 2021. https://bwnews.pr/3byYtgo
- FDA approves pembrolizumab for adjuvant treatment of renal cell carcinoma. FDA. News release. November 17, 2021. Accessed March 23, 2022. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/resources-information-approved-drugs/fda-approves-pembrolizumab-adjuvant-treatment-renal-cell-carcinoma
- Choueiri TK, Escudier B, Powles T, et al. Cabozantinib versus everolimus in advanced renal-cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2015;373(19):1814-1823.
- Cella D, Choueiri TK, Hamilton M, et al. Health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in previously untreated patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC) in CheckMate 214: five-year follow-up results. J. Clin. Oncol. 2022;40(suppl 6):307. doi:10.1200/JCO.2022.40.6_suppl.307
- Choi WSW, Boland J, Lin J. Hypoxia-Inducible Factor-2α as a Novel Target in Renal Cell Carcinoma. J Kidney Cancer VHL. 2021;8(2):1-7. doi:10.15586/jkcvhl.v8i1.170
- FDA approves belzutifan for cancers associated with von Hippel-Lindau disease. FDA. News release. Accessed August 13, 2021. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/resources-information-approved-drugs/fda-approves-belzutifan-cancers-associated-von-hippel-lindau-disease?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery